Things Kannada That I Like

There's much more to Bangalore than just the malls and the great weather. Here are the reasons that I love Bengaluru for...
  • The Idli-Vada joints - Where else in the world can you get nutritious, fresh, delicious and inexpensive breakfast early in the morning? I must say I am impressed by the efficiency of these innumerous joints that dot Bangalore's landscape. Clean and fast, these joints provide you essentially with what you want - fresh, wholesome, tasty food. And the low prices are an added balm to the heart in these times of economic shockers. In addition, have you ever noticed the speed at which these joints pack and distribute packets? My idli-vada pack never gets messy. There's always a small plastic sheet on which the chutney is spread. The sheet is given a fold on which the idlis are kept, and on top of which goes the Vada. Magically, these never get crushed or soggy... And the pulley system is charming. The guy at the counter just tugs at the pulley and uses a length of twine that comes rolling down to give a neat wrap to the pack.
  • Filter Coffee - True coffee = Filter coffee. Lovers of Espressos, forgive me. But I give full marks to this humble and yet dignified version, that comes in delightfully small steel glasses. Redolent with the flavour of fresh coffee, with just enough milk, the coffee is enough to awaken you from your ennui, and yet gentle enough to let people like me enjoy the strength.
  • HOPCOM - I don't know whether other states in India have this service, but I really likes the vegetable outlets of the Horticulture department. These generally have a wide variety of vegetables and haggling doesn't work. For people like me, who are at best novices in this ancient art, this is good news. Personally, I have developed a good rapport with the Anna at the neighbourhood Hopcom, and I don't really have to worry about the quality of the veggies :)
  • Jasmine in the hair - There's an old-worldly charm in women putting flowers in their hair, especially Jasmine. Naturally beautifully fragrant, these flowers exude freshness ... a worthy competitor to deodorants I must say. Try boarding a bus during the rish hour. The Jasmine in the braids of the woman standing next to you will turn out to be a saviour!!!
  • Alpana at house entrances - Homes in Bangalore are set apart from those in other parts of the country by the intricate designs that appear in front of their gates every morning. Created by the ladies of the house using rice flour, turmeric etc, these designs range from geometric to scenic. But one thing is certain - the art brings the house alive, makes it look habitated and gives a certain warmth to the whole concrete building. If you believe in 'good energy', I think such designs invite 'happy' sentiments into the house...

Comments

  1. Dear Anusha,
    Season's Greetings.
    Hope you and hubbie are having a nice time. Wish you both a prosperous and happy New Year.
    Glad to know that you have a blog and are flexing your writer's muscle.
    You make Bangalore seem good. My impression about Bangalore was on the contrary not that great. I had heard so much about the place that it is a pensioner's paradise...the perfect place for retired people to settle down.
    I found the traffic was chaotic. Though the markets were busy and vibrant, it almost shook the daylights out of me. The few hours which I spent over there was really a mess. May be it is more of a personal experience.
    I was impressed by the airport. It was really something to be proud of. I particularly liked the road where the Vidhan Soudha stands. That's a nice area especially the cantonment area. Surprisingly, I found more of Andhra restaurants than those serving Karnataka delicacies. May be it is good for shopping. My first impression was not that great. There was nothing which stood out....apart from that stretch of road where Vidhan Soudha stands. But, in whole it was a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anu,
    Haven't been to all the places....I like to put most of the travel pieces that I liked while reading onto my blog...
    I am going to Abu Dhabi.....just landed up with a job as assistant manager, corp communications with UAEexchange. Have still not put down my papers...am waiting for VISA....so was now reading about Abu Dhabi...so I posted most of the articles that I read on the blog.....I am a lazy blogger....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ayaniv...

    as a basic human nature...we resist change ..when we go to a new place, if it "looks" better "superficially "
    we ought to assume ..its better....and also vice versa.
    I have traveled a bit..to both rich and poor countries. My idea always is..first read about the place you are visiting...you then become more accepting to the what you will see...and definitely don't take things at face value...and let the feelings about a new place sink in..and step into the place leaving judgments at home ..its then that you see the true beauty...be it then the jasime in the hair or arpana on your doorstep....

    Sahil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anu,
    Your blog has enlivened my memoties of Banglore and i am dying to visit the place soon ----------.
    Oh!the Jasmine fragrance gives one a feeling of peace and purity what to talk about the Modern worlds Deos. which are so strong at times that it gives one Sneezes.
    Here in London in this wet climate the memory of the smell of freshly cooked Vada sambhar makes your mouth watery.
    Though I have visited most of the metros in India But Banglore is just one of its kind .
    The population has increased becose people find it one of the most beautiful and well administered city.
    The upcoming New Metro line is certainly going to add another feather in its popularity.
    Thanks Once again to have written such a beautiful, mesmerising blog
    I hope to see more like that in near future.
    Bachho4

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anu,
    Your blog has enlivened my memoties of Banglore and i am dying to visit the place soon ----------.
    Oh!the Jasmine fragrance gives one a feeling of peace and purity what to talk about the Modern worlds Deos. which are so strong at times that it gives one Sneezes.
    Here in London in this wet climate the memory of the smell of freshly cooked Vada sambhar makes your mouth watery.
    Though I have visited most of the metros in India But Banglore is just one of its kind .
    The population has increased becose people find it one of the most beautiful and well administered city.
    The upcoming New Metro line is certainly going to add another feather in its popularity.
    Thanks Once again to have written such a beautiful, mesmerising blog
    I hope to see more like that in near future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is this Home?

I don't find that funny

Speaking of dropping names...